11.24.2008

November 24, 2008

So I realized today that by the time November is done I will probably have watched in the ballpark of 20 movies. That is a new record for me. I probably watched about that many or more when I was in film school, but when you can guarantee you’re going to watch 2-4 movies a day in classes that’s not hard; I haven’t done that since I graduated.

I do have the philosophy that the more movies I watch the more it increases my film vocabulary. I think that I have to see what others do in order to really learn what the medium can do.

I saw one of the most unique films I’ve ever seen this weekend; I watched Brand Upon the Brain by Guy Maddin. I really can’t tell you what it was about, or how exactly it was semi-autobiographical, but it was fascinating. Not only was it unique because he does things like place himself in the films, and use silent film technique, but I found the way he edits so dang fascinating I considered sharing the film with my editor but since I don’t want End edited that way I decided against it. I really can’t make up my mind about that movie though. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a movie that’s thrown me like that. I can’t say it was bad, but I can’t say it was enjoyable either.

I had the fun of telling people my Christmas wish was to get a picture lock for Christmas and having everyone besides my geek friends be all confused. They kept asking me what that was and someone even wanted to know where they could buy that.

I do sometimes get a secret joy out of my geek vocabulary.

0 comments: