7.07.2009

July 7, 2009


35 mm
Originally uploaded by Antinatural.
Movies are my music. Let me explain.

You know the way that some people will get a new CD and listen to it over and over again until they know every name and every line of each song? They play it until you just can’t listen to it anymore but they just don’t stop getting the joy out of listening. I do that with movies.

I will watch a movie over, and over and over again until it practically lives in my DVD player. I don’t even have to stop what I am doing and watch it completely, it can be on in the background and keep playing. However, before I am even aware of it I know the shots, the music cues, the lines, and just about every element of the movie. I’ve absorbed it through osmosis, and it’s become an embedded part of my film vocabulary. I will watch a movie till most people think I’m nuts and can’t possibly watch the movie again…but I can.

I used to think I had a problem, or at least that I wasn’t “normal”. Then I realized this is just what I do. It’s part of my make-up as a director. It’s part of why my film professors would tell me I saw things in movies they’d never seen, and why they’d ask me questions about movies. That’s just me, and I like it.

1 comments:

Adam said...

You go, girl. While I couldn't do what you do with watching movies that many times, I understand completely about how wonderful it is to have something that provides that kind of fulfillment. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you've misplaced your devotion or that you love it too much. Screw them. I pity the person who's never loved something that much.